Saturday, May 28, 2011

This Old Back of Mine ......

.... decided to get bent again this morning.

5 years ago I took a bad fall in the shower and herniated one of the lower disc's in my back (I think it's the L5). I've been living with it rather well for these years but must take special care not to do things that will cause it to become aggravated or worse, tear more.

This morning I "leaned" into the shower to turn on the water which is a HUGE no-no. Leaning is too much of a strain on my back and I know better than to do so; unless I already have my hands down and use the strength of my arms to lean. I was half awake and stupidly wasn't really thinking about what I was doing. My back instantly paid me back for my careless mistake. I am hoping I have just enflamed the old injury and not added to it; however at this point the odds do not look to be in my favor. I've made my back angry a few time over the last 5 years, but at no time since the initial injury has an incident dropped me to my knees like it did this morning. :(

I can barely move and there are no comfortable positions to ease the pain. My pain meds may as well be candy because they are not even taking the edge off of the incredible constant pain in my back. Though I've had the meds on hand at all times over the years, my back was to a point that I rarely had to use them. A 30 day prescription could last me 6 to 8 months. Now I'm popping a pill every 4 hours and nothing ..... no relief at all. I would whine and cry, but I'm to blasted angry at myself for making such a idiotic mistake.

I have two cards done, and was all readily to make todays Less Is More challenge card when this happened. I tried to stand at the counter to make it, but its just impossible. My friend Kim (whom I just spent the last two weeks at her house taking care of her post surgery) had to come over here a bit ago and help me with a few things. She will be back tomorrow with her Mom since now neither of us can lift anything. GRRRR...... So she brought me my laptop so I could play on line for a bit, but for the most part I'm just laying flat on my back reading books. It's a bit awkward typing with this MAC on my belly since I can't sit up, but I have to admit it is making me laugh. My typing is horrid to begin with, you all should see me trying to type this in such an improper working position. LOL

So there is my sorry story for the start of the three day holiday. I am praying that this is only an angry incident and not an additional tear to the disc .... if it is the latter, then I'm not going to be able to avoid surgery this time.

I've ordered up Bridget Jones Diary on my Kindle and will set this computer aside and read that ..... laughter, after all, can cure or heal just about anything. :)

Oh and please forgive any typos. My neck is getting tired so I will have to proof this later and make any corrections then.

Hugs to all ....

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry.

    On the bright side, you actually type very well from a prone position!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole

    I was really sorry to read your post. It sounds like you and showers are not compatable .. .. I think you should have it taken out before it inflicts any more harm on you!!

    I do hope your tablets start working soon and that you can hopefully get back to some sort of normality.

    I keep picturing you typing with a laptop on your stomach!!!

    Take care and get better quick.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Carole, I got so engrossed in your back problems that I forgot to answer your question.

    Everything on the card you liked came from the same stamp set. It is quite a large clear stamp set and I love it!!

    I just drew the white stitching on. That isn't part of the stamp.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there Carole, Ooh so sorry to hear about your back you poor thing. I think Jules is right you and showers don't mix, ouch! I hope you feel better soon, Thank heavens you've a sense of humour:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You probably don't need to hear this, but my ex had this kind of problem and had a special chair that he laid in and leaned back in and it would release the pressure for him. He started out doing it for long periods of time and then eased back until it was relatively okay again. My heart goes out to you. The chair has you strapped into it and you lay flat.

    ReplyDelete