Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Memory Box Dies
Over the last few weeks I have seen a number of crafters using the ornament, snowflakes and Christmas tree dies from Memory Box and everyone seems to agree; gorgeous dies but hard to glue down because the dies are so finely detailed. I've struggled with the ornament and Christmas tree die as well but think I have fixed the problem.
Last week I bought some adhesive sheets to make one of those Holtz 12 Days tags. Once they arrived, it struck me that this might be the solution to the Memory Box dies. I gave it a try last evening and am pleased with the results.
I made three attempts; one using gold foil and one with a metal sheet and one with card stock.
The foil attempt didn't work at all. There wasn't enough strength in the foil/adhesive combination and the diecut didn't make it half way out of the die before tearing. I continued on just to test it and the same problem came up when removing the open cut areas.
The second attempt was card stock. The ornament worked beautifully, the tree was a huge disaster. Personally I don't think that die is deep enough so while it did cut through the card stock, it didn't cut completely though the thin layer of adhesive. When trying to free the open areas, the adhesive wasn't cut all the way through and pulled on the diecut areas. :(
My third attempt was using some thin metal sheets that I had purchased eons ago. This medium worked so well I ended up cutting two from the metal sheet. Once I had the die cut free of all the bits, the adhesive backing made placing the cut very easy. It's a stong bond; both cuts are attached to bases that are covered in embossed iridescent ice and I have tested the bond in several ways and its firm.
To bond the metal and card stock to the adhesive I cut equal sizes of both then starting at one end of the adhesive, I peeled back the edge placed it on the metal/ card stock edge. Using the brayer, I rolled the adhesive along the metal/card stock as I pulled the backing off. This really helped to keep the tape to medium smooth and bubble free. Added bonus, I finally found a use for my brayer!!
I placed the die and metal into the Bigshot; added a folded sheet of computer paper between the metal and the top plate then cut the die. I add the paper because my plates are so old, the cut marks can sometimes transfer to the item being cut. Since metal is very sensitive I knew adding the paper would keep the final cut clean and free of the marks. I took the same steps with the card stock. Once cut, the removal of the open areas was really easy. I think the weight of the metal made it easiest to remove the open areas.
The completed ornament is the first metal try; the one without the bling is the second one and I'll finish it up tonight. Both cuts will be used on Christmas cards. Not sure which direction I'll go with the card stock ornament.
So for anyone that may not have discovered this idea yet, and plan to give it a try, please let me know if you get the tree to work. I'm more than a bit disappointed in that one right now.
The metal sheets were probably purchased at Recollections; so they might be available at Michaels.
The adhesive sheets were purchased Ellen Hutson LLC: Be Creative Tape Sheets by Skoowang
They also carry all the Memory Box dies, DP and stamps.